From the helm of a premier design publication to the headlines of the nation’s biggest brands, I bring 25 years of writing, creating, and owning experience to the content business. You’ve likely seen my work on the magazine rack at Barnes & Noble, the ordering station at Subway restaurants, on the back of the 151 Union Station bus, or in your office mailbox. As a successful entrepreneur, editor-in-chief, and creative copywriter, I’m at the ready to jump in, find the right words, play nice with others, and contribute.
- Creative strategist for CMYK Magazine, one of the design industry’s most recognized publications for nearly two decades.
- Managed the largest, most scholastically diverse creative contests in print and online through 55 editions, six websites, and an app.
- Elevated a business idea from a San Francisco garage to a fifth-floor walk-up in NYC’s Upper West Side within five years.
- Amended the protocol for how copywriters present themselves through their websites.
- Creative copywriter entrusted by some of the most recognized companies in entertainment, food, marketing, and tech.
B.A. in Journalism from CSU, Sacramento
The Local Copywriter, LA, CA, 2017-Present
A fully engaged, “big concept” copywriter providing Syntax Engagement Optimization for all.
- Specialties include websites, headlines, taglines, newsletters, articles, and blogs.
- Fortified with a B.A. in Journalism and 20 years of design magazine publishing.
- Content management support with Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, and Storyblok.
- Email marketing service using MailChimp, iContact, and Constant Contact.
- Proficient A/B tester across all devices and platforms for accessibility.
- Ability to lead, follow, anticipate, recognize, and overcome.
CMYK Magazine, SF, NY, LA, 1996-2019
Founded one of the more successful independent magazines of the past 20 years.
- Facilitated the creation of the printed voice for emerging artists and designers.
- Launched a 25,000-circulation design magazine from a San Francisco studio loft.
- Assembled a committed team of award-winning writers, editors, and designers.
- Saved CMYK magazine $75,000 annually by assuming lead writer responsibility.
- Chief orchestrator on 55 printed editions, seven websites, and a native iOS app.
- Directed and strategized with teams of writers, designers, artists, and developers.
- Authored all email correspondence, promotional materials, and online branding.
- Achieved as publisher a 93% advertiser retention rate from 1996-2014.
- Naturally raised CMYK’s social following from 1,500 to 45,000 in 18 months.
- Secured a 33% MailChimp open rate among designers from 2006-2018.
Viveros & Associates, Redwood City, CA, 1994-1996
Staff copywriter for a marketing agency catering to video-game developers and licensees.
- Developed creative reflexes in a “great ads in about an hour” environment.
- Wrote game manuals for Wonder Dog, Sonic, Doom, Quake, and Street Fighter.
- Produced product catalogs for industry leaders Sega, Sony, Nintendo, and Atari.
- Collaborated with designers, managers, marketers, and engineers.
- Crafted value-based storytelling in a conversational tone.
Gaylord Advertising, Sacramento, CA, 1993-1994
Junior copywriter after winning first job with a crayoned portfolio and sparkling personality.
- Mentored by CCO of company to write with confidence and authority.
- Introduction to writing for print advertising, direct mail, TV, and radio.
- Maintained focus on content standards and brand personality.
- Nurtured the ability to assist in developing workable ideas.
Menu of Services
- Contract writer of digital and print content.
- Headlines, taglines, mantras, and releases.
- Blogging, texting, emailing, and letter writing.
- CMS and email marketing management.
- Brainstorming and creative collaboration.
- Respect for the player, love for the game.
Allegra Marketing, Atari, CMT (Country Music Television), CMYK Magazine, Covad, ClearFuze Networks, Inc., Dark Matter Animation, Excite Network, Extreme Games, Jackson Square Global Packaging, JVC, LucasArts, KM Nelson Design, Namco, Nimbus Design, Nintendo, Ocean of American, PX Media, Redwood City Redevelopment Agency, Rollins College, Rockmybrand, Sega, Sony USA, Subway, TAD Dogs, Time Warner Entertainment, Western Precooling Systems.